Audience of One 90.2 FM: My Trials and Tribulations of Technology
What is Audience of One 90.2 FM?
Audience of One 90.2 FM is the faux radio show broadcast I created with my colleague Lauren Wasilchuk for a college media literacy course this semester. We created the show around the topic of music and included a variety of segments that included listener call-ins with prizes, interviews with band members and local DJ’s, commercials promoting cafe’s with live music and open mic nights at the local college, as well as interviews with community members inquiring into their favorite artists. We also created a “Making Of” after show in which we explained our experiences and the process.
What preparation and work went into this project?
A lot! Lauren and I met up several times. Together, we created a script as we collaboratively shared our ideas for segments, characters, and lines. After creating the script, we chose sound effects and bumpers from Freesound.org and searched both our iTunes libraries for songs to add for transitions. We also selected videos from YouTube to record. After we had pieced together our broadcast, we recorded our show using the recording and editing program, Audacity. It included a lot of time-consuming cutting, piecing together of clips, alterations, fade-ins, effects, and more.
What complications arose while working on this project?
Well for starters, the software program was a little tricky for us to navigate at first. It was mostly a trial and error type of experience. It took some time to learn how to cut portions of the clips and how to select pieces to alter for effects such as slow motion. We also had a lot of difficulty figuring out how to insert music or sounds into the program. We utilized a series of tutorials as well to guide us along. We even ran into problems trying to upload the finished product to SoundCloud when we realized it didn’t accept Audacity files. Ultimately we had to upload it to iTunes. We also had difficulty stretching the radio show to meet the time requirements, so we unexpectedly had to create extra segments which were unscripted. To begin with, we were also a team member down! We only had two instead of three! Luckily we were able to make accommodations to make our broadcast shorter in length.